6791 Quail Hill Pkwy
Irvine, CA 92603
Lift.Tone.Burn – that’s the mantra at Pure Barre, a fitness studio combining pilates and ballet techniques into one unique workout routine. I recently had the opportunity to try a class because a great deal was offered on Groupon. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I wasn’t expecting my thighs to be quivering nonstop within the first 15 minutes of class! I thought I was in pretty good shape with all the marathon running I do, but Pure Barre is a whole different animal. Supposedly the word of this innovative new technique is spreading the nation like wildfire.
Here is what you need to know:
- The studio provides you with all the equipment you need – this includes two sets of light weights (you can choose between 2-3-5 lb weights), a band, and a ball.
- The workouts emphasize short, tiny movements meant to fatigue the muscles and gets switched up every 10-30 seconds.
- You begin with a small warm-up, then go right into workouts designed to tone your arms, thighs, butt, and abs. They used up every minute of the hour, so there were really no opportunities to rest.
- No dance experience required. The movements are designed so that anyone can follow along. Even my two left feet can attest to that.
- The studio floor is carpeted, but you MUST wear socks. They also sell socks with grips on the bottom, but I found that regular socks were fine too.
- Attire is a tank top and capris or tight-fitting shorts or pants.
I was sweating buckets at the end of my hour-long class and my heart rate was definitely up. Pure Barre provides a comprehensive toning and cardio workout that seriously works you!
Best for: those who want a challenging, different type of workout that focuses on toning. The workouts don’t require a lot of bouncing so it’s also great for those who have sensitive joints.
Would not recommend for: those who are extremely out of shape.